Photobooks

I am a picture fanatic. I love taking photos as much as I love travelling.  In this day and age where most of our pictures are in our digital devices, I take time to create photobooks so I may have something tangible that I can carry or show to friends or just a security if any of my devices would fail me.

A friend of mine had sent me a sample of the photobook she's doing earlier today. Then I realized I haven't started any for my 2013. Argh!

So now I decided to feature my photobooks and the companies I have tried. Maybe this will give me (and you) some inspiration to start a new one.










Here are the companies I have tried in order of preference:

Photobook Philippines 
www.photobookphilippines.com

Good: 
 - Printing is done in Malaysia but they have an office here in Manila so the shipping is really cheap compared to other US-based companies. The software is easy to use - like a digital scrapbook where you can add objects that would complement your theme. There are also templates available where you can simply drag and drop your pictures if you want to save time or not in the mood for grand customzation. Vouchers are available a few times a year, this will then give you 40-75% off the listed price (excluding shipping).

Not so good: 
- The printing may sometimes be on the orange or dark side so one tip is to adjust the brightness of your pictures.


Sample screenshots of my US and Osaka Photobooks:


US

US

Osaka, Japan

Osaka, Japan




MyPublisher
www.mypublisher.com


Good: 
 - Print quality is like a magazine. Really clear and glossy. There is always a promotion every US holidays - from 20 to 60% off.

Not so good: 
- For the software, limited customization. US-based so either you get a Manila Forwarder (US company that provides a US address and ships the item to the Philippines) or ask your friends/relatives in the US to send it to you.



Actual book print

Binding

AdoramaPix
www.adoramapix.com


Good: Print quality is very good - same as having your photos printed out by Kodak (or any photo printing store). This is the thickest paper I have encountered, similar to a thin board. Lay-flat finish. Ships to the Philippines. As for the promotion, max of 20%.


Not so good: I am actually torn if this is a negative or a positive one, but since this is using a board like material, the book the heavier and thicker.

Lay Flat pages

To compare: 40-page AdoramaPix photobook (on top)
40-page 190-gsm PhotobookPhilippines (buttom)

Binding



Blurb
www.blurb.com

Good: Cheap. You can create 100+ pages and it will cost half the price of the others. Ships to the Philippines.

Not so good: Least of my faves as the printout turned out to be a lot darker than I expected. You need to make sure you have high quality photos and make it as bright as you could possibly can, of course without compromising the lines and details.


Actual book print


I am yet to find a good local-based photobook printing company. Most of the software provided isn't something to my liking - very limited fuctionalities or I have to avail of their services to do the layout for a fee...not for the control-freak me. ;)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glamourbox - December 2013

El nido - You had me at hello!!

Louis Vuitton